Wednesday, February 8, 2012

It's a secret


This is a secret...A SECRET STASH BOX!  oh was I too loud?

I made a couple of these for my boyfriend for his bookshelf.  It looks like plain old books on a shelf, but if you look closely you can see the hidden box.  The first one I made was very difficult.  First off I went to my local thrift store and bought a bunch of random fun titled hard cover books (only 25c and piece) to use.  Then I went to the hobby store and bought a wooden box (of course with a coupon). I like saving money.  I didn't have much of a plan when it came to making this project because I wasn't quite sure how I was going to cut the books just for the book ends.  I ended up taking a mat cutter and cutting through the cover and then all the pages in order to get the book ends.  It was a mess! BUT I did it.  I cut through 7 books.  After cutting through all the books I glued them to the box in order to make them look like plain old books that would sit on a shelf.  I took the time to add a little detail to the box and books in order to cover up my mechanics.  I thought it turned out pretty cool over all.
The Second one I made was easier, not less time consuming, but easier.  Instead of killing my hand with all that cutting, I only cut the cover and then cut off the binding.  I inserted a foam material to help keep the shape of the book end so it was not flimsy.  I then glued everything together.  I also used a smaller box this time so I could put books on the outside edges in order to hide the box better unlike the first one I made where you can see the sides.  I think this one turned out pretty good.  I want to make another one! 


I am excited to now use all of the book pages I have left over! There are some pretty neat crafts you can do with book pages.  Until next time....  













3 comments:

  1. What a great secret storage idea! Did you hollow out the books on the ends too, or did you just leave the pages in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left the pages in one (the first one), but it was hard to cut all those pages to be even. The second one I made i hollowed out the books and inserted foam in replacement of the pages which was soooo much easier! It is quite a project but i really want to make another. I also want to make a hollowed out book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Thanks for visiting today. The pebble mat is easy to make, just a bit tedious. I love mine and I use it for so many things. I hope you do give it a try...
    Roe

    ReplyDelete